<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Five Questions About Books

Almost a month ago Wayne from PSoTD "tagged" me with the above described book meme. I apologize for not responding earlier, but I've just discovered that I like being linked to, but not when there is a "catch" (e.g. me having to do something.) I'm lazy. But don't let that stop anyone from tagging me in the future, as I'll get around to it. Eventually.

Q1 -- You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to save?
Green Eggs & Ham

Q2 -- Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Wonder Woman. And don't deny you didn't have a little thing for Diana Prince...

Q3 -- The last book you bought is?
How to Get Ideas by Jack Foster based on a friend's recommendation. I work in advertising and though I don't work in the creative aspect of it, I'm sometimes called upon to be creative (like here.) Also, I bet if you come up with different ways to get ideas and/or think, your life would improve somewhat. (Not a plug of the book, just an observation.)

Q4 -- What books are you currently reading?
I have at least six...

Eats, Shoots & Leaves - The book from the puncuation gestapo. It looked light & quirky, but is a little more serious than that. It's back burner now, but I will return to it at some point soon.

Blog! - This was written by Hugh Hewitt and was purchased in my fit of open minded bi-partisanship after jug-ears stole won the election. I heard the book was non-partisan. That was bullshit. Hewitt is Instapud's little boy. Save your money. I doubt I'll finish this one. The bi-partisanship honeymoon is just about done. Bring on Fristy and the loons!

In Harm's Way - This is about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis war ship during WW2. The story of how some of the sailors survived in the South Pacific waters is incredible.

The Coast of Summer - A non-fiction account of an Englishman & his wife touring New England under the power of sail. I did this several times as a kid and think back fondly to visiting; Narragansett Bay, Cutty Hunk, Block Island, Nantucket, Galilee, Newport, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, Penobscot Bay, Chatham, Cape Cod, Point Judith & Hamburg Cove. (OK that last one wasn't in the book but it holds special meaning for at least one reader of this blog. It's a little nook off of the Connecticut River.) The book has great maps too. It would help your enjoyment of the book to have some nautical knowledge, but not necessary.

Offide: Soccer & American Exceptionalism - I love Soccer and am constantly battling my friends who consider the "Beautiful Game" a second tier sport. I admit it is in the States and this book details some of the reasons. Some are obvious but some aren't. If you know who the Toon Army are, can explain the catenaccio defense, know where San Siro is and know Michel Platini's nickname you should buy this book. I should be sent up the river for 'calcio' nerdiness.

Who Let the Blogs Out - This was written by Google/Blogger employee Biz Stone and goes back to the origins of the blog. I read his first blogging book too. Both are worthwhile but I preferred the first. That is a plug. After blogging for only a month I wrote to ask about getting an upgraded Blogger account and he emailed me back saying he'd get it done if I wrote an online review. I held up my end of the bargain as did he. Check out my review from the link above, 12 out of 13 people found my review helpful. (I'm still trying to track down the 13th.)

Q5 -- Five books you would take to a desert[ed] island?
The Complete Works of Wil Shortz - The x-word puzzle editor for the NY Times and the bane of my intellectual existence.

The Complete Calvin & Hobbes/Bloom County - This is my list so I made up my own book. Twisted & innocent humor to wile away the time on the, "uncharted desert isle." Aside: I think it would be cool to have dinner with Breathed & Watterson. I could share my Bill the Cat impersonation.

Total Baseball - The stats for every player who ever played Major League Baseball.

The Complete Shakespeare - Mrs Horns used to teach Shakespeare and I've always loved Theatre and toured the Globe theatre on the Thames during my trip to London. My problem is I have a hard time understanding the old school language.

Unabridged OED - Words and definitions. Lots of time. I could become even more locquacious. Just to be sure we're clear, this thing would weigh over 150 lbs.

Thanks to Wayne over at PSoTD for tagging me with this meme. It was a lot of fun. Be sure to check him out at his new digs. He has released himself from the shackles of Blogger. Well done. At the rate I've been going I'll update my 'roll & feeds by Christmas.

If any visitor/guest/lurker/stalker sees this and feels like they want to participate with their own meme, consider yourself tagged. Just trackback to this post or leave a comment saying you're in.

| Permalink Here


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

http://www.top-blogs.com/cgi-bin/rankem.cgi?id=ebradlee
Site Feed



















Site Meter

+ : nothing blogs : +

PhillyBlog
<< <5 | < | list | random | > | 5> >>

Listed on BlogShares

Performancing

Technorati Profile

Who Links Here?