<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The Other Side

One of the things that I complain about often is the vast polarization that exists in the country today. I've deciided to be a little pro-active in this regard.

There is a conservative blog called Balloon Juice that I lurk at sometimes. The proprietor is a Steeler fan and a level-headed chap. I submitted the following comment at his site this morning:
First, I'm a liberal blogger.

The reason for this comment is that I wanted to congratulate you on President Bush's victory. I've visited your site periodically over the past year or so and, though I don't always agree with what you say, I respect your views (except on the Steelers ;-).

I think the blogosphere has done much to contribute to the divisiveness of the country. Excluding no one. I strongly feel this has to change, which is why I'm writing to you today.

So, moving forward, I'm going to try and avoid piling on the President with cheap shots just because I can. I will still criticize the President if I feel it's warranted and will continue to fight policies that I find reprehensible but will work hard to be respectful of the office of the President.

John, I'll be back and will attempt to contribute in a constructive way.

And when I find some time, I will add a new section to my blogroll with dissenting viewpoints. I'll add you when I do.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Brad

I'm pissed that we lost the election across the board, but I don't think problems in this country will be solved by hating our elected leaders (see previous post.) If you've read this blog for any length of time that may sound a little hypocritical; but the future of this country, the country my 18-month old son will grow old in, is much too important to focus on IQ points or Botox. We need to raise the level of discourse to focus on the issues in an intelligent way.

That may be a naive viewpoint, but I'm going to try.


| Permalink Here


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

http://www.top-blogs.com/cgi-bin/rankem.cgi?id=ebradlee
Site Feed



















Site Meter

+ : nothing blogs : +

PhillyBlog
<< <5 | < | list | random | > | 5> >>

Listed on BlogShares

Performancing

Technorati Profile

Who Links Here?