<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

1967 Civil Rights Demonstration in Milwaukee

I don't profess to know a lot about the Civil Rights movement. But I thought the majority of the activism took place in the South, apparently not. Much to learn.

This is powerful:

What I remember most vividly is the burning in my eyes and the intense hatred that I felt. I was 18 years old and sitting on a cot in the basement of St. Boniface Catholic Church. The year was 1967, and Milwaukee was in the midst of a struggle to pass an open housing ordinance. The NAACP Youth Council was leading nightly marches into the city's South Side to end a long-standing gentleman's agreement that kept African Americans from buying homes anywhere they could afford them. I was one of a few white people on the youth council and was proud to be part of what I considered a crusade for justice...

Follow the link.

I'm proud to say the author is a friend of the family.

| Permalink Here


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

http://www.top-blogs.com/cgi-bin/rankem.cgi?id=ebradlee
Site Feed



















Site Meter

+ : nothing blogs : +

PhillyBlog
<< <5 | < | list | random | > | 5> >>

Listed on BlogShares

Performancing

Technorati Profile

Who Links Here?